23 July 2006

True beauty is more than skin-deep

My initial reaction to Dove's Campaign for Real Beauty was positive. I was impressed that at last someone was saying that beauty was about more than being thin or unblemished. That struck me as a positive thing with so many young women (and increasingly, I gather, men) struggling with eating disorders. But as I thought more, I felt that the campaign still carries the message that beauty is skin-deep (if you'll excuse the pun!):
Dove believes that beauty comes in different shapes, sizes, and colors and that real beauty can be genuinely stunning.


But the Bible's view of beauty is radically different. Have you ever wondered why so many Christian songs talk about God as being beautiful?
Light of the world, you stepped down into darkness;
opened my eyes, let me see
beauty that made this heart adore you-
thoughts of a life spent with you.
Tim Hughes © 2000 Kingsway's Thankyou Music

Until a couple of years ago, I'd never really contemplated what it meant to call God beautiful. And yet King David does:
One thing have I asked of the LORD,
that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the LORD
all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD
and to meditate in his temple. (Ps 27.4)
That's remarkable isn't it - that the one thing David wanted of God more than anything was to "gaze upon the beauty of the LORD"? We might speculate that it was a better request than Solomon's request for wisdom, comparing the outcome of their two lives (although I wouldn't want to push the comparison too far!).
So when the Bible talks about beauty, it clearly isn't (always) talking about physical beauty at all - since God is invisible!
No, true beauty is beauty of character, the beauty of love which meets the needs of others no matter what the cost.
Wives... do not let your adorning be external--the braiding of hair, the wearing of gold, or the putting on of clothing--but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious.(1Pe 3.3-4)
"How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!" (Rom 10.15)
No one will ever look back at the feet of someone who called them to Christ and say "they had ugly feet!" That messenger will always be one of the most beautiful people you have ever met.
Oh, that I would truly take this on board. That I would stop judging people by their physical appearance. That I would not care about my physical appearance, but rather how I am giving myself in the love of others.
How great is His goodness, and how great His beauty! (Zech 9.17)

4 Comments:

Blogger Jen said...

Really helpful, thanks.

Jen x

8:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But even in Biblical times, things were done on appearance:

Genesis 29:
17 Leah had weak eyes, but Rachel was lovely in form, and beautiful.

Song of Solomon 1:
15 How beautiful you are, my darling!
Oh, how beautiful!
Your eyes are doves.
16 How handsome you are, my lover!
Oh, how charming!

I'm not justifying it, but its been done since near the beginning of time- humans haven't changed that much since then.

I know some people who are, frankly obese. Some people not knowing them, easily write them off, but they're lovely people. But, from looking at them, who would say that?
-shrek isnt all that nice looking, but...

And anyway, who defines beautiful?
...I once heard a guy telling his daughter she waas beautiful, she said:
"You're my dad, you're meant to say that!"

9:15 pm  
Blogger Explorer said...

Hi there Lauri,

Thanks for the comment.
I do agree that beauty includes physical appearance. I think I'm saying that it is more than just physical appearance; and that the most important things that make someone beautiful are those that relate to their character rather than how they look.
We live in a world that's obsessed with physical appearance to the point of making significant numbers of people mentally ill (with eating disorders). But as Christians, we should be focussing on what someone is like on the inside rather than what they look like on the outside.
That's not to say that it's wrong to want a relationship with someone you find physically attractive. But if that's the only reason, or even the main reason that you're attracted to them, that's probably not a good basis for a relationship. And similarly, we would be better off focussing our efforts on becoming more like Jesus rather than improving our physical appearance. So I might want to ask myself, do I spend more time in front of the mirror each day, or in front of the Bible?
Take care,
Murray

6:26 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hi Murray- tis me again!
Thank you for your reply :o)
I agree with with what you say there...

But I'd like to change the conversation slightly: what do I do, if I'm asked THE question: [by my mum or my 'lady-friend']

"is my butt big in this?"

-1:lie, or
-2:tell the truth in love?
-3:say their appearance doesn't matter

if 1, how do I live with myself afterwards? ...and by the way, i cant lie well! [in this case, its not a good thing]
a topic for a future post?

11:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home