11 September 2006

My sin condemned

For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. (Romans 8.3-4)
How is it that Paul says that God, by sending his Son, did what the Law could not do - condemned sin? Surely one of the main things the Law does is condemn sin! It tells us what is right and what is wrong and makes it clear that I deserve to stand condemned before God because of all my wrong-doing and rejection of him, my Creator and my King.
The answer is in the meaning of the word condemned and what Jesus wonderfully did on the cross:

The Law condemns sin
The Cross of Christ condemned sin

The Law condemns me on account of my sin
The Cross of Christ condemned sin on account of His love for me

At the cross, God made an end of all my sin. He made Christ, who knew no sin, to be sin for me (2Corinthians 5.21). My sin has already been condemned and punished on the cross. There is therefore now no condemnation for me if I am in Christ Jesus (Romans 8.1). How little I deserve this! I deserve nothing but his condemnation - yet I will one day stand before Him accepted and forgiven and loved. And more amazing than that, I am already accepted and forgiven and loved.
God is for me today because of the cross of Christ.
Because the sinless Saviour died
My sinful soul is counted free,
For God the Just is satisfied,
To look on Him and pardon me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Rick Potter said...

Just recently found your site and have enjoyed reading.

Rick

8:47 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home